Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Family Home Storage

President Thomas S. Monson: "Many more people could ride out the storm-tossed waves in their economic lives if they had their year's supply of food . . . and were debt-free. Today we find that many have followed this counsel in reverse: they have at least a year's supply of debt and are food-free."

Last year a couple of my New Year's resolutions was to get an emergency 72-hour kit for each person in our family and a reasonable supply of water for our family. This year, ALL of my New Year's resolutions have to do with my emergency preparedness/food storage. A little more specific and a little more aggressive.

-3 minute earthquake kit
-Ready-to-go emergency file box with all our important documents
-2 car kits
-1 month supply of food/water; including finding the best way to shelve/store/organize it all

Let me tell you how incredibly daunting food storage seems to me. I have no idea where to start and since I want to do it the right way, the cheapest way, and the most efficient way, (my perfectionist self comes out greatly when I think about starting my own emergency preparedness/food storage), I get sooo overwhelmed and stressed. Plus, since we live in California where we don't have basements or extra rooms in our expensive apartments/houses to dedicate our food storage to, only our garages, it is a little tricker to keep our huge food supply rodent/moisture free and in a big enough amount of space!

So, I decided to take Tim's advice and "not stress" and take it little by little. Since I have to put my big project on hold because money is tight right now, (thank you economy), I decided to just do nothing but read, read, read, and read all I can about food storage. If I come across ideas or tips that I like and that I want to incorporate in my own food storage, I save it all on my computer so that when I am ready to start I am fully knowledgeable and prepared with how I want to start and I how I want "my own" food storage to be like. This first step has been a much better bite to swallow. I have only just begun and it is turning into something fun as I dream up how I want to do things!

I found two websites today that offer great information especially if you live in Utah. I think it offers the best things out there. They are expanding their services to Southern California for free for a limited time until their website is up and running so I am super excited!

www.myfoodstoragedeals.blogspot.com
www.dealstomeals.com

If any of you have ANY kind of information you would like to share with me PLEASE let me know because I am such a beginner and I need help! And I will definetly be posting my good findings on my blog for myself and any of you who want to start! Happy Food Storing!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We don't have a very big food storage for the same reason you don't, but I've started buying a couple extra cans of veggies or applesauce when I go to the store and put it in a duffel bag under the bed in our guestroom.

s.calder said...

Hey, check out this website: idareyoutoeatit.com My friend's mom just wrote this great book about food storage with easy applications and ways to use it too. I have started to read it and have found it incredibly helpful.
We are figuring out what we like and use, and start to buy cans and amounts when we can and come across this stuff. My mom says there is this great place somewhere in LA to get beans and wheat and stuff for cheap, but I can't remember what it's called....I will find out and let you know. We haven't done much yet, but it has been one of my big resolutions this year too! I need to get on the ball! You can do it!

Stephanie said...

We finally had to strap down and get food storage. When we were living at Brigham's parent's house while they were on their mission they had a ton there so when we moved here we had nothing. We've gotten a pretty good start, the basics, wheat, sugar, beans, can goods, etc, but yes, the problem IS the STORAGE part. We have nowhere to put it but our garage, which we don't want to do because it takes the shelf life from 30 years to 5 years because of moisture. We do keep a big shelf of canned food out there though. It is quite overwhelming...Right now all the #10 cans are in their cases stacked in a "discreet" corner of our kitchen. Finding a better place for it is definitely on our to-do list. I might just fill one of the kids' closets with it...I don't know!!! Good luck, it's really stressful, I agree.

Britney said...

I feel ya! It's so stressful and overwhelming to get food storage. I hate the process, but I guess it's worth it. I'm so afraid of wasting money on stuff we will never use. I just keep telling myself that, if nothing else, it's a good insurance policy. That still doesn't make it easy though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...