Thursday, November 10, 2011

binkie free

It has been about a week since Natalie has been binkie free! Woo-hoo! I've been mentally planning and preparing myself to ween her off for a little while now, but it just sort of happened on its own actually.


Natalie is at the stage where she is getting rid of her naps (I know, way too early, that is a completely different issue I'll address another day) so one day when she skipped her nap she was so exhausted by bedtime that she didn't even ask for her binkie and I had completely forgotten to give it to her. It wasn't until the girls were asleep when I realized she did it on her own!
Repeat the events again the next day and eventually it just sort of happened. She eventually just forgot about it!

She has only mentioned it a few times when she has woken up in the middle of night and asks, "Mommy, where's my binkie?" and I just reply, "I don't know, sweetheart." And she just goes right back to bed saying, "Oh. Ok."


My original plan was to cut off the nipple and have her still be able to hold the binkie at night in bed with her.
With Marisa I did the whole "binkie fairy" thing where we explained that if she left her binkie out on the table for the fairy the fairy would leave her a present in return. She totally bought it and it worked. Easy.
But those of you who know my second child well, can you imagine me trying to say that to her?? I could just picture Natalie staring right back at me with a face that reads, "Whatever crazy lady. THAT ain't going to fly!" So that is why I had in mind a different approach for her.


Today was the only time she asked during the day for it and our conversation in the kitchen went like this,

Natalie: "Where's my binkie?"
Me: "I don't know where your binkie is."
Marisa: "You are not a baby anymore. You are a big girl."
Natalie: "Not a baby a'more? Big girl? Ok."

Too easy!

2 comments:

Kels said...

I wish it was that easy with Brecken! I was on vacation last week and kept cutting and cutting to finally nothing. Now she is wearing it around her neck (which seems to help). Night time actually hasn't been bad, it's been more nap where she just fights going to sleep. We have made progress in the last week, but still not quite the same and she's not sleeping as long. But boy am I glad that she hasn't started giving up her naps. I would die! I need her to nap so i can get my work done! Glad it went so well for you!

chelseyandmatt said...

How lucky for you!!! My almost 3 year old still has his, I know Im terrible! But, Im pretty sure he never even puts it in his mouth, he just likes to hold it at night! Anyway- London is beautiful in the fall!! Im still jealous you are there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...